Saturday, February 2, 2008

Update!




Well it’s been a long time since we last updated our blog. Let's start from the beginning. Jimmy and I both enjoyed our trip home. It was a nice refresher and although we had a lot of delays, we made it back safely. I cut my hair while I was there and donated it to Locks for Love for young children that have ailments that prevent them from growing their own hair. Since we’ve been back, my students have been much more well-behaved!! This has of course been a huge relief. I still have some problems and struggles but overall things have calmed down a bit.

Last week, Jimmy and I were super busy planning for conferences and getting ready for classes the next week. I was sick this past Monday with flu like symptoms. I was happy to be back at school, and so were the teachers. We have been getting a lot of snow and wind in the past few weeks. We had a ton of teachers that left for a union meeting and our principal was also out for a meeting. They were all supposed to arrive on Sunday last week. However, they were all snowed in at Bethel. We had a total of 6-7 teachers gone, our head custodian, many aides were sick or snowed in, students were spread out in different villages, and our principal was also snowed in. This lasted until Wednesday at 3:00 when they were finally able to land their first plane. The school seemed like it was bursting at the seams! The kids were not used to that many substitutes and it got really rough. I felt like this past week was 3 weeks rolled into one! It was on Thursday and Friday having all of our teachers back and getting things back to normal.

Yesterday was spent making Yupik masks and making up a Yupik dance for our culture class that we have today. It’s crazy and exciting to think we only have 16 more weeks of school!

No comments: