Saturday, September 8, 2007

Berry Festival









It has been a long a busy two weeks here. We are busy trying to plan interesting interactive lessons for our students. Jimmy enjoyed his trip to Umkimuit. He had a chance to bond with his students and joke around with them. It did rain a lot in the mornings when they were there but overall it was nice weather and a fun trip.

The Blackberry Festival was a lot of fun. I (Kerri) was surprised at how many people from other villages were here. Jimmy and I went and helped out at the cross-country race. I was a director to tell students were to go and Jimmy did the scoring for the teams. It sure is a grueling course. I have been on my fair share of rough courses but this one takes the cake. It has a small stream in the middle of two large hills that you have to go up. There is no way you can run up these hills and from where I was standing I got to watch the kids on hands and knees trying to get up. Once they get up that large hill there is another one. They then head back (this is where I was standing). Thankfully the rain held off for awhile while the kids ran. Other than that Jimmy and I just enjoyed our long weekend and relaxed. I have been sick for a while so it was nice to catch up on some sleep and just relax for a while.

Not too much exciting has been happening here. We have parent teacher conferences this coming week so we are trying to gear up for them. We also both have class this Saturday morning for our Alaska certification.

I have not figured out how to add captions yet, so the top picture is of my classroom. The second picture is of Jimmy’s classroom. The third picture is the outside of our school. Notice all the mud? We also added some pictures to our first post one of a whale that we got to see and the other is Jimmy and I in front of a Exit glacier that is receding.

***The pictures that were just added were from Jimmy's trip to Umkimuit with his kids. The other 3 were the ones from the cross country race. In the back of one of the pictures you can see a small figure going up a hill and then on one. This is actually a runner. You can see how tough the course really is now!

1 comment:

TK said...

Jimmy-

Tom Keller here, from a long, long time ago and a galaxy far, far away. I was so excited to stumble across all these new adventures you're on. Congrats on the marriage (same to you, Kerri, along with, "nice to meet you, I'm Tom") and what appears to be an awesome personal and professional opportunity up there in AK. Best wishes and be in touch.

-Tom