Sunday, May 18, 2008

Walking






The year is starting to come to a close. It is finally starting to warm up here. Most of the snow has melted besides the snow that is in front of our house. It stays light out now until around midnight. This, along with the year coming to a close, has made the kids especially hyper this past week. I have been busy trying to help them stay motivated to finish up their final tests for the year. We also finished writing our final letters to our pen pals from Mrs. Bush’s 4th grade class. My students have really enjoyed hearing the stories from Michigan. They have especially liked hearing about all the hunting that we have in Michigan. Many of the students now want to visit there some day.

This past week Jimmy and I have been busy trying to get things ready to leave for the year. Graduation was this past Friday, and Jimmy and I watched the ceremony. It was nice to see all of the community that came and supported the 5 students. We have both been busy cleaning our rooms, grading papers etc. We have 4 days of school left next week and then it's summer vacation! The staff will have a workday on Friday to finish getting our rooms around and to put in our final grades. Jimmy and I will fly out to Bethel on Saturday. We will then fly from Bethel to Anchorage to Chicago to Detroit on Sunday night/Monday morning/Monday afternoon (we're losing 4 hours due to timezones alone).

On Saturday Jimmy and I took a walk around Toksook. It was interesting to see all the water that had melted. We were following a stream of water that had naturally occurred when I said, "I wonder where the stream went?" At that same moment, I fell through the snow and found the stream under the snow. I was stuck so Jimmy had to pull me out of the snow. It went up past my knee! The pictures you see are ones that Jimmy took of me after I was rescued. Have a wonderful week everyone!

No comments: