Sunday, September 23, 2007

Rain, Rain, Rain




It has been a good couple of weeks here. We both finally feel like we are getting used to the way things are around here. For one thing we sure are learning to be patient. We got our phone hooked up so we feel like we now have contact back to the world but we are still waiting on Internet and satellite TV. School has been going pretty well here. It’s busy of course, but we are getting used to the routines and the students are getting used to our ways of doing things. There have been rough moments, but for the most part things are looking up.

The rain here has finally begun to stop for a while. Although, right now when I am writing this, is of course raining again. I asked some local residents and they said that there has been a lot more rain this year than in the past few years. We both feel blessed that we get to experience it! We head out in the morning with our light winter jackets and our rubber boots ready for school.

We have also noticed a huge difference in the sun. We used to wake up and the sun would beat us up in the mornings. Now, it has not even started to rise when we are walking to school at 7:00. I am starting to realize that I am going to really start to miss that sun in the wintertime. Marty, one of the other teachers was showing me some pictures of how much snow they get here in the wintertime. I was shocked at the amount that was there! He had to dig out his house in order to get out of it. Now I am used to the snow and all, but this seemed like a crazy amount of it! I liked the pictures that people have shown me with their doors open and all you can see is the snow piled up the whole way up the door. They said that this is the way that you are welcomed to the day in the morning before school. I sure can't wait.

The pictures that you see above are of Jimmy and I. We decided to take a walk out on the Tundra on the big hill area. We never made it however, because the rain started but as you can tell we were prepared as usual. The other picture is of some of the landscape around Toksook. It sure is beautiful around here when it isn't raining!

No comments: